City Calendar & Events
Civic Service of Remembrance
- Start Date:
- End Date:
- 9:15 AM 11:45 AM
- Cross of Sacrifice Cenotaph
The Civic Service of Remembrance will take place at the Cross of Sacrifice, King Street at the base of George St. (beside Murney Tower). View a map of the park.
View the news release for the event.
- 9:15 a.m. Community wreath-laying ceremony
- 10:15 a.m. Military/veterans groups wreath-laying ceremony
- 10:45 a.m. Civic Service of Remembrance (lasts about 40 minutes)
Order of service
- Parade marches on
- O Canada
- The Last Post
- Two minutes of silence
- Wreath-laying (with local dignitaries)
- Recitation of In Flanders Fields
- God Save the Queen
- Parade marches off
Notes for spectators:
- Ceremony will take place rain or shine. Dress appropriately for the weather.
- The general public is invited to attend any or all of the above-mentioned ceremonies. School groups are also welcome to attend.
- There will be an American Sign Language Interpreter on-site for the Civic Service only.
- Spectators generally stand for the service, however, some accessible seating is available at the Cenotaph, on a first-come, first-served basis.
Additional accessible parking spaces have been made available in the vicinity for the Remembrance Day ceremony. Please arrive early to park. Here is a listing of available spaces:
- Barrie St – 2
- City Park (at Stuart St entrance) – 2
- King St. (at Emily St.) – 2
- Richardson Beach Lot – 2
Waterfront Lot – 2
To order a wreath for the community or military / veteran wreath laying ceremonies please contact Merrill Gooderham, Poppy Chair, Royal Canadian Legion at 613-544-5522.
Other local ceremonies
- RCHA Remembrance Day Service: at 10:45 a.m. (same time as the Civic Service) in the southeast corner of City Park, at the intersection of King and Barrie streets opposite to the Murney Tower.
- Princess of Wales Own Regiment’s Service: Following the Civic Service, Regiment marches to the PWOR Monument in City Park (at King and Sydenham streets).
- HMCS Cataraqui/Naval Service: At noon. Following the Civic Service, Regiment marches to the Naval monument in Navy Memorial Park (on Ontario Street between Lower Union and Gore St.)
- Royal Canadian Legion Service: At 12:30 p.m. at Branch 560 at 734 Montreal St.
There are many other ceremonies being held in Kingston on November 11. Contact your Veterans’ organization or local Legion directly for more information.