City Calendar & Events
Feature Event - First Capital Day
- Start Date:
- End Date:
- 9:30 AM 1:00 PM
- 33 Bagot St. City Park
Join us for First Capital Day where Kingston’s history is brought to life! First Capital Day celebrates Kingston’s unique history as the Capital of the United Provinces. Students from Kindergarten to Grade 8 and beyond can immerse themselves in free hands-on historical displays and activities. This event is open to school groups and the general public.
- Be there for the opening ceremonies with Mayor Paterson and the Town Crier at 9:45 a.m. then be entertained by the Paddling Puppeteer: Honest Frankie’s Shoreline Review at 10 a.m.
- Enjoy several interactive exhibitors throughout the day representing different aspects of life in 1800’s Kingston.
- Meet a voyageur, an 1812 travelling clothes merchant, a 19th-century surgeon, rope-makers, spinners, weavers, and Sutler Cyrus Wakefield.
- Practice drills with the Fort Henry Guard
- Train with a broadsword with Broadsword Academy Kingston
- Create a take-home souvenir with the Martello Alley Artists
- Visit displays by the Historic Costume Club, the MacLachlan Woodworking Museum, the PumpHouse Museum and the Museum of Health Care.
- Take a Haunted Walk Tour through City Park (book ahead by calling 613-549-6366 or email Kingston@hauntedwalk.com)
- Exhibits will be in the park, rain or shine, unless it becomes a safety hazard.
- The West Street entrance to the ring road that runs through the bottom of City Park will be closed to the general public throughout the day to accommodate this event.
- Patients of Kingston General Hospital’s cancer clinic can park on the ring road and may access it off Barrie Street.
- Buses may drop off and pick-up on Bagot Street at the park building, but will not be allowed to remain parked at that location.
- Pack a picnic lunch or enjoy food from one of Kingston’s local vendors on-site. Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen and a water bottle to fill up at the Utilities Kingston Water Buggy.
Teacher’s packages will be sent to all Kingston area schools in early May. To request a teacher’s package or for questions about the event please e-mail email@example.com or call 613-546-4291 ext.1715.