City Calendar & Events
First Capital Day
- Start Date:
- End Date:
- 9:30 AM 2:30 PM
- City Park - 33 Bagot St.
Join us for First Capital Day where Kingston’s history is brought to life! First Capital Day celebrates Kingston’s unique history as the Capital of the United Provinces from 1841-1844. Students from Kindergarten to Grade 8 and beyond can immerse themselves in free hands-on historical displays and activities. This event is open school groups and the general public.
Be there for the opening ceremonies with Mayor Paterson and the Town Crier at 9:45 a.m. then be entertained by the Paddling Puppeteer: Honest Frankie’s Shoreline Review at 10 a.m.
Enjoy several interactive exhibitors throughout the day representing different aspects of life in 1800’s Kingston.
- History comes to life in City Park
- celebrating Kingston’s unique history as first Capital of the United Provinces, 1841-1844
- over 20 interactive exhibitors representing different aspects of life in 1800’s Kingston (some exhibits extend before or after the First Capital era)
- you’ll see and experience early medicine, broadsword demos, woodworking, military drills, early fashion, rope making, storytelling, a puppet journey of the great lakes and much more!
- the event is opened to both school groups and the general public, however the Tour Trolley rides are reserved for school groups only and must be booked on site at the First Capital Info booth.
- exhibits will be in the park, rain or shine, unless it becomes a safety hazard.
- The West Street entrance to the ring road that runs through the bottom of City Park will be closed to the general public throughout the day to accommodate this event.
- Patients of Kingston General Hospital’s cancer clinic can park on the ring road and may access it off Barrie Street.
- Buses may drop off and pick-up on Bagot Street at the park building, but will not be allowed to remain parked at that location.
Pack a picnic lunch or enjoy food from one of Kingston’s local vendor’s on-site. Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen and a water bottle to fill up at the Utilities Kingston Water Buggy.
Teacher’s packages will be sent to all Kingston area schools in May.
For more information please contact 613-546-4291, ext. 1715.