The City is the Service Manager, responsible for administering Community Homelessness Prevention Initiative (CHPI) funding in Kingston and the County of Frontenac. It partners with community agencies to prevent homelessness and house people who are experiencing homelessness. The 10-Year Municipal Housing and Homelessness Plan for Kingston and County of Frontenac has the following four priority program areas to reduce chronic homelessness. Together they form a "housing first" approach aimed at quickly finding permanent homes for those in the greatest need and supporting them in staying there:
- Prevention and Diversion Program: focuses on preventing homelessness and diverts people who have other options from accessing the emergency shelter system. Resources for this program include the Homelessness Prevention Fund (described below) and the Extreme Clean Program, which provides assistance to prevent homelessness caused by hoarding behaviour.
- Housing Assistance and Emergency Shelter Program: identifies the primary housing and supports best-suited to a homeless individual's or family's needs and provides essential services to meet immediate needs for overnight accommodation, nutrition, hygiene, safety and security.
- Rapid Re-housing and Housing First Program: assists individuals and families who have the deepest and most chronic needs to maintain housing through individualized housing case management supports.
- Homelessness Prevention Fund: provides funding to assist eligible individuals and families to help them stay housed or secure housing (e.g., through offering rent or utility payment assistance). Funding is in the form of a non-repayable grant that prevents an up-coming eviction or assists homeless people or families with moving to permanent housing.
If you are homeless and need a place to stay, contact one of the emergency shelters below to find placement:
- Adults, ages 25+: In From the Cold - 613-531-3779
- Youth, ages 16-24: Kingston Youth Shelter - 613-766-3200
- Parents with dependent children up to age 16: Lily's Place - 613-767-6180
- Women and children fleeing domestic violence: Interval House* - 613-546-1833
* This is not a City funded shelter