Homelessness Prevention Fund

Nested Applications

Content - Housing - Programs - Homelessness Prevention Fund

The Homelessness Prevention Fund (HPF) provides eligible individuals and families grants (non-repayable) to help them stay housed or secure housing. Funds may be used to prevent eviction or to assist people who are homeless to move to permanent housing. Recipient households are required to have a plan to prevent dependency on the fund.

The Homelessness Prevention Fund replaces funding previously provided under the Low Income Assistance Bank, the Rental Deposit Assistance Program, and the Utility Arrears Program.

Salvation Army Kingston Community & Family Services Branch and Southern Frontenac Community Services Corporation in the County of Frontenac administer this fund and have final approval on all applications.

Eligible Expenses and Funding Maximums

Each household cannot exceed these maximum amounts available:

  • up to $1500 every 24 months for singles and couples with no children; or
  • up to $2400 every 24 months for families with children.

Funding can be considered for the following eligible expenses if the applicant is housed and under threat of eviction:

  • rent, mortgage, property tax arrears
  • utility arrears (water, heat, hydro, propane, or wood)
  • damages (requires a ruling from the Landlord and Tenant Board) and small home repairs (requires proof that not fixing would prevent you from staying in your home) 

Funding can be considered for the following eligible expenses if the applicant is homeless and needs assistance to secure the rental unit:

  • moving and related start-up expenses
  • first and/ or last month's rent
  • tenant insurance (if required prior to move-in)

In all cases documentation is required to verify an expense.

Who Can Apply


If you are an Ontario Works (OW) or Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) client, you are not eligible for the Homelessness Prevention Fund. If you are in need, contact your case manager/worker directly, or call the OW office at 613-546-2695 or the ODSP office at 613-545-4553 as they may be eligible to receive funds under the Discretionary Residency Benefit program.

Applicants can be homeowners, renters, or people who are currently homeless. Eligible renters can be living in market, affordable or Rent-Geared-To-Income (RGI) units.

Applicants must be an active client of an authorized agency listed below. These agencies assist with applications and review them for completeness and eligibility:

In Kingston:

  • Kingston Home Base Housing – 613-531-3379 (540 Montreal St.), or
  • Salvation Army, Community and Family Services – 613-548-4411 (342 Patrick St.)
  • Kingston Youth Shelter – 613-766-3200 (234 Brock St)

In the County of Frontenac:

  • Southern Frontenac Community Services 613-376-6477 (4295 Stage Coach Road in Sydenham)

Applicants must:

  • be a resident of the city of Kingston or the County of Frontenac including Frontenac Islands
  • be a Canadian citizen, landed immigrants or refugee claimant (proof required);
  • be connected to an authorized agency (see above) who can help prepare the application
  • sign a Release of Information related to the application
  • must have income below these Housing Income Limits:
    • for a 1 person household less than $31,000 annually
    • for a 2 person household less than $38,000 annually
    • for a 3 person household less than $43,500 annually
    • for a 4 person or more  household less than $54,000 annually

Note: income levels are effective May 1, 2018 and are subject to change.

How to apply:

Contact your worker at an authorized agency and discuss the reasons why you need to apply to the Homelessness Prevention Fund. Your worker will help you complete the application and obtain approval to forward the application to the Fund Administrator.

Where an application for assistance is declined, you may request an Internal Review in writing within 10 business days of the decision being communicated to you.

Please ask for a copy of our Homelessness Prevention Fund brochure or Program Policy by contacting housing@cityofkingston.ca

Documentation Required

Examples of documentation which may be required:

  • Employment Statements (stubs)
  • Employment Insurance Statement (E.I.)
  • Canada Pension Plan (CPP)
  • Old Age Security Pension (OAS)
  • Any other Pension Statements or Sources of Income
  • Federal/Provincial Child Tax Credit
  • OSAP Information
  • Utility Bills (Electricity, Gas, Oil, Water/Sewer, etc.)
  • Rent Receipt or Mortgage Statement
  • Property tax statement
  • Eviction Notice from Landlord
  • Proof of Citizenship – i.e. Birth Certificate, SIN card, etc.
  • Letter/Notice or bills from Utility Company
  • Copy of lease

Contact - Rent Utility Bank - City

Contact - Rent Utility Bank - County