Local Rent-Geared-to-Income Eligibility
City Council has approved local eligibility standards for rent-geared-to-income (RGI) housing, setting maximum gross income limits for RGI eligibility – among other local rules – and adopting provincial standards as prescribed by the Housing Services Act, 2011 (HSA).
City Council recognizes that the HSA corresponding Regulations define provincial eligibility rules and permit the Service Manager (the City) to establish local eligibility standards for RGI assistance and further that extensive consultation has been undertaken with the Not-For-Profit Housing Advisory Group (NPHAG) on local standards; and therefore approved the following local eligibility standards for RGI assistance as local policy:
- To be considered for the waitlist, a completed Part A application form must be submitted with a copy of acceptable ID for all members. A Part B form must be completed to verify and confirm financial eligibility when the applicant accepts an RGI unit.
Maximum income limits per household as subscribed by the HSA are as follows:
- Bachelor - $24,500
- One Bedroom - $31,000
- Two Bedroom - $38,000
- Three Bedroom - $43,500
- Four Bedroom - $54,000
- The maximum allowable period for a RGI tenant to be absent from the unit be ninety consecutive days,
- RGI households convicted of misrepresentation under the Canadian Criminal Code or found by the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal or court of law to have misrepresented income be barred from re-application for rent-geared-to-income assistance for a two-year period.
Further, all other provincial standards as prescribed under the HSA; O. Reg. 367/11 and any other related amendments be adopted as local policy as listed below;
- Timeframe for written notice to the member of the household regarding the completeness of the re-submitted application form remains at seven business days.
- Timeframe for written notice to the member of the household re-submitting the request for special priority household category remains at seven business days.
- Timeframe for written notice to the household regarding the completeness of the re-submitted application form for special needs housing remains at seven business days.
- Excluded household income remains the same as prescribed in O. Reg. 298/01, s. 50 (3); (Appendix #1).
- Excluded values for household assets remains as per our local Directive (maximum household asset amount is not established) in conjunction with O. Reg. 367/11, s. 35 (5). (Appendix #2)
- Current tenants living in RGI must pursue financial resources that are identified as income by the HSA (for example, Employment Insurance). RGI tenants are given thirty calendar days from the date of the notice to provide proof that they are making reasonable efforts to obtain the required income.
- Divestment of residential property remains at one hundred eighty days after being housed as prescribed by the Regulation with the opportunity to extend the time limit with appropriate supporting documentation (i.e. flat market, etc.)
- Divestment of residential property for a special priority household is one hundred eighty days after being housed and can be extended with appropriate supporting documentation.
- The City may review the eligibility more frequently than once in every twelve-month period, as prescribed by the Regulation.
- Rent increases of less than $10.00 are not implemented. (O. Reg. 298/01, s. 53 (4)).
- Extending the time frame for applicants to submit an Internal Review request will be consistent with the central waiting list operating procedures for tenants, at the discretion of housing providers.