Ontario Works

Nested Applications


Content - Residents - Community Services - Ontario Works

Ontario Works provides temporary financial assistance to those most in need residing in the City and County of Frontenac while they undertake requirements to become and stay employed.

Click on the headings below for more information.

Are you eligible?

Applicants must meet these four criteria:

How to apply

Apply for Ontario Works in one of these two ways:

  1. Apply online through the Ministry of Community and Social Services website
  2. Call 613-546-2695, ext. 4980 to make an application appointment with a Case Manager at Housing and Social Services located at 362 Montreal St.

You should have these seven items ready for your appointment/online application:

  1. Social insurance number;
  2. Health number;
  3. Proof of identity and date of birth;
  4. Employment history/information;
  5. Income and asset statements;
  6. Shelter costs;
  7. Status in Canada.

If you are not able to attend your scheduled application appointment, please contact the intake team to reschedule at 613-546-2695, ext. 4980.

Applicant rights when applying for Ontario Works

Applicants have the right to:

  1. An application interview;
  2. Bring a person of their choice with them to the interview;
  3. A timely decision on their eligibility for Ontario Works Assistance;
  4. A written notice of the eligibility decision;
  5. The opportunity to have decisions reviewed.

What you will receive

If you are eligible, your Case Manager will contact you.  You may receive a monthly allowance for your basic needs and shelter costs.  You may also receive assistance for costs related to health benefits, and some employment related expenses, etc.

Payments will be deposited directly into your bank account and you will also be mailed these  items:

  1. A drug card.
  2. An explanation of the cheque (stub).
  3. An income-reporting statement (IRS).

Ask your Case Manager about your eligibility for other supports, such as Employment Assistance, Municipal Fee Assistance, the Learning Earning and Parenting program or Family Support Program.

Need an Ontario Works Form?

What is expected from you

Ontario Works recipients are expected to do several things:

  1. Attend periodic interviews with a Case Manager;
  2. Respond promptly to requests by a Case Manager;
  3. Report changes in living arrangements, all income and assets and any other changes;
  4. Repay all overpayments.
  5. Report income monthly using the Income Reporting Statement;
  6. Contact your Case Manager when they have questions or concerns;
  7. Sign a Participation Agreement (see next heading: "What is a Participation Agreement" )
  8. Participate in employment-related activities that will bring them closer to financial independence.

Need an Ontario Works Form?

What is a Participation Agreement?

A Participation Agreement is part of the application for financial assistance. This agreement:

  • Outlines your employment goals;
  • Is a step-by-step plan to help you reach these goals;
  • Lists employment-related activities agreed upon by you and your case manager;
  • Will bring you closer to financial independence.

Speak to your Case Manager about financial supports for which you may be eligible while working towards your employment goals.

See the provincial Ministry of Community and Social Service's site for more Ontario Works information.

Contacting a Case Manager

You need an appointment to see a Case Manager. See the 362 Montreal St. page for location and hours. To leave a message for your Case Manager, call 613-546-2695, please speak clearly and leave one message with these four details:

  1. Your full name, Member ID number, or your date of birth;
  2. Your reason for calling;
  3. Your telephone number or contact number;
  4. The best time to reach you from Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.;

Calls will be returned within two business days.

Do you need help getting Family Support?

The Family Support Program is available for Ontario Works recipients.

A Family Support Worker will help parents on Ontario Works who have custody of their children get support for themselves and their children from the other parent. 

Participants must offer the Family Support Worker any information they may have to find the other parent and/or inform them if the other parent begins employment.

Participants must make reasonable efforts to get a support agreement or order from the other parent.

Effective February 1, 2017 for Ontario Works, child support and CPP Orphan Benefit payments will be fully exempt as income and will no longer be deducted from clients' social assistance payments.

362 Montreal St.
Kingston, ON K7K 3H5
Phone: 613-546-2695

Do you need financial assistance for a funeral, cremation and/or burial costs?

The City provides financial assistance on behalf of deceased residents who do not have sufficient funds in their estate to cover the cost of a basic funeral, cremation, and/or burial. Social Services will pay a funeral home or cemetery to provide these services in accordance with the rates approved by Council. Assistance is generally only available if the funeral, cremation, and/or burial is to take place within Ontario.

For more information review the Financial Assistance for Funerals, Cremations and Burials document.

Reporting Welfare Fraud

While the vast majority of Ontario Works recipients genuinely need the benefits and supports provided by the program, there are instances of misrepresentation and dishonest access to social assistance programs. Ontario Works Eligibility Review Officers ensure that recipients are entitled to the benefits they are receiving.

Suspected Welfare Fraud can be reported in any of the following four (4) ways:

  • Email : welfare.fraud@css.gov.on.ca
  • Phone: 1-800-394-7867 Fax: 1-866-681-3154
  • Mail to:
    Ministry of Community & Social Services Welfare Fraud Hotline
    Box B30
    Toronto ON M7A 1E9


    Housing and Social Services,
    362 Montreal St.,
    Kingston, ON K7K 3H5

Staff are bound by the privacy and confidentiality requirements of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and cannot discuss the details of a fraud investigation with the person who filed the complaint.

Appealing a decision

Make a written request for a review

If you disagree with a decision to deny, suspend, cancel, or vary your basic financial assistance or mandatory benefits, you have 30 calendar days to request an internal review of the decision. The request must be in writing.

The review must be completed within 30 business days and you will receive notice of the internal review decision in writing. The decision may confirm, vary, or reverse the original decision.

If you disagree with the review decision

If you disagree with the internal review decision, you can appeal within 30 days to the Social Benefits Tribunal, an independent group appointment by the provincial government. Application forms are available at the local office. Completed forms are to be mailed to:

Social Benefits Tribunal
1075 Bay Street, 7th Floor
Toronto, Ont., M5S 2B1
Toll Free Number: 1-800-753-3895

An Internal Review decision on a Discretionary Benefit is final and cannot be appealed to the Social Benefits Tribunal.

Interim assistance

Interim assistance may be provided to an applicant or recipient who demonstrates, to the tribunal, financial hardship during the time it will take for the tribunal to complete and issue a decision. Interim assistance may only be issued if the individual meets all other conditions of eligibility. If the appeal is denied or withdrawn, the interim assistance issued will be assessed as an overpayment. If the appeal is granted and the individual was issued interim payments exceeding the order, the amount in excess of their entitlement is an overpayment.



Image - Res - Comm Services - Ontario Works

Picture of a Woman smiling


Contact - Community Services - Sharbot Lake

Contact - Res - Comm Services - Ontario Works North Frontenac