Belle Park Landfill
The City of Kingston is committed to managing the former Belle Park Landfill Site in an environmentally responsible way. Since 1997, the City has undertaken a number of projects to protect and improve the environment at Belle Park. The City continues to work with the Ministry of Environment and the community to design and implement a long-term solution for Belle Park — a solution that will protect the environment, be publicly acceptable and financially sustainable.
Cataraqui Park (better known as Belle Park) is a landfilled marshland that extends into the Kingston Inner Harbour from the west bank of the Great Cataraqui River to Belle Island.
The site is approximately 44 hectares (108 acres) in size. Citizens, businesses and institutions in the City of Kingston used this site as a municipal landfill from 1952 to 1974. After the landfill was closed in accordance with Ministry of the Environment requirements, the City developed the site into a multiple use recreational facility that includes a nine hole golf course, tennis courts, and walking paths.
Environmental experts were hired by the City to assist with the environmental component of the long-term management plan for Cataraqui Park. The mandate and scope of activities carried out include:
- Implementation of interim seep management measures.
- Comprehensive environmental site characterization to support a human health and ecological risk assessment.
- Evaluation of additional environmental measures to form part of the long-term site management plan.