Barriefield Heritage Conservation District
Heritage Conservation District Plan - Approved
The new Village of Barriefield Heritage Conservation District (HCD) Plan is now available. On September 20, 2016, City Council gave final reading to Bylaw 2016-173 to enact the new Village of Barriefield Heritage Conservation District Plan. The new plan replaces the current Barriefield Heritage Conservation District Plan, last updated in 1992.
The Barriefield Heritage Conservation District is one of three established Heritage Conservation Districts in Kingston. Barriefield Village sits on a high embankment on the eastern shore of the Great Cataraqui River (a portion of the Rideau Canal World Heritage Site). It is located near the intersection of Highway 2 and Kingston Road 15, adjacent to Fort Henry (a National Historic Site of Canada), and CFB Kingston in the former Township of Pittsburgh, which is now part of the City of Kingston.
Barriefield has a long association with the history of European settlement and military activity in the Kingston area. Named after the commissioner of the Kingston Naval Dockyard, Commodore Sir Robert Barrie (in 1820), Barriefield Village was established around 1814 as a result of the need for developable land for housing. At this time, there was increased activity in the area in response to the War of 1812 and the reconstruction of Fort Henry in the 1830's.
This quaint village has a distinctive building style typically consisting of low profile one-and-a-half storey homes of wood frame or stone construction. Buildings are primarily single detached residences with a few semi-detached or row-type houses. Although many buildings and properties have been altered over time, and new buildings have been added to the Village, the overall nineteenth century rural character of the Village of Barriefield has been retained.