Animal & Pet Control FAQ's

Nested Applications


Content - Res - Pet Control FAQ

Please select a heading from the following menu for further information:

Do I need to license my pet?

Under the bylaw, all dogs in any part of the city and all cats in the urban area are required to be licensed in the online pet identification system (please see urban/rural areas map in Bylaw 2004-144)

Upon licensing, a tag will be mailed to you for each dog and cat.

When a cat or dog is found, their pet identification tag number can be located in the City's online pet identification system — so that your lost pet can be identified.

How do I license my pet?

Visit the DocuPet registration page or one of the following locations to license in person:

  • City Hall
  • 1211 John Counter Blvd.
  • Kingston Humane Society, 1 Binnington Ct.
  • Participating veterinary clinics and pet stores, including: Barriefield Animal Hospital, Collins Bay Animal Hospital, Downtown Animal Hospital, Frontenac Animal Hospital, Global Pet Foods, Kingston Humane Society, Limestone City Animal Hospital, McEwen Animal Hospital, Mutt Hutt Spa and Pet Centre, Pet Valu, Pet Smart, Princess Animal Hospital, Sims Animal Hospital, Urban Paws

You will need to provide the following information:

  • Complete name and address of owner
  • Evening and daytime telephone number of owner
  • Pet's name
  • Breed
  • Proof that pet has been neutered or spayed
  • Pet's date of birth
  • Vaccination Record
  • Email address
  • Tattoo (if applicable)
  • Description of pet

What are the benefits of licensing my pet?

While City bylaw requires all dogs in any part of the City and any cats residing in the urban area to be licensed annually, there are also benefits to licensing your pet:

Help finding your lost pet:

  • The licence tag, along with a microchip or tattoo will help you reunite with a lost pet. If a dog found at-large or stray is licensed, the first ride home will be provided at no charge.
  • DocuPet offers an online profile to store your contact information and a photo of your pet. If your pet goes missing sign into your online account and report them lost. This sends a notification to animal control and local pet owners who have opted in to receiving lost pet notifications.

Access to reduced rates to spay/neuter:

The City's responsible pet ownership program offers a limited number of $250 vouchers to help low-income households spay or neuter their pets. Households can apply for the vouchers through the City's Municipal Fee Assistance Program (MFAP).

DocuPet Rewards Program:

When you license your pet(s) you will receive an annual rewards card. Local businesses have offered deals to DocuPet Rewards Card Holders. View deals offered here.

How much will it cost to license my pet?

Please see the Fees & Charges Bylaw for the fee schedule.

This licensing fee pays for identifying the pet when it is lost, enforcement and administration of the pet identification system and provides a rewards program. The fee also covers updates to the pet's information, such as records of rabies vaccinations, tattoos, microchip numbers, or other identifying information. If you and your pet move to a new home, there is no charge to update the address.

If you have been found guilty of an offence under the Dog Owners Liability Act or the Animal Control Bylaw, additional fees will apply.

Where does the money from pet licensing go?

Pet Licensing fees support:

·       Kingston Human Society pound services

·       Spay/Neuter Kingston Initiative (SNKI)

·       Municipal Fee assistance program vouchers for spays/ neuters

·       Trap, Neuter, Vaccinate, Release/Return program

·       Returning lost pets to their homes

What is DocuPet?

DocuPet Inc., a Kingston-based startup, was awarded the contract to run the City's online pet registration, identification and rewards program service. DocuPet retains twenty-five percent on all gross licensing revenues on any new pet registrations that are issued above the baseline of 3,920 (the baseline represents the average number of pet licenses issued per year).

For more on the contract and agreement with DocuPet please view the award of contract report to council.

Why am I required to provide my email address?

You need an email address to create a unique ID for your account and to provide a way for you to verify your account after licensing.

If you do not have an email address you will need to license your pet(s) in person at one of the locations listed under "How do I license my pet?".

What information do I need to provide to license my pets?

With the exception of an email address for licensing online the information requirements have not changed.

You will need to provide the following information:

  • Complete name and address of owner
  • Evening and daytime telephone number of owner
  • Pet's name
  • Breed
  • Proof that pet has been neutered or spayed
  • Pet's date of birth
  • Vaccination Record
  • Email address
  • Tattoo (if applicable)
  • Description of pet

How do I receive my tag?

Pet tags will come in the mail regardless if you register online or in person. Allow for 5-10 business days to receive your tag.

How can I get a replacement tag?

Order and pay for a replacement tag online by logging into your account and clicking the "Order Replacement Tags" link. Alternatively, you can visit one of the locations listed under "How do I license my pet?" to purchase a replacement tag.

Where can I find help with my online pet tag renewal?

If you are attempting to license or renew your pet tag online and need help you can email or call 1-855-249-1370.

Does my pet have to wear an identification tag at all times?

Cats and dogs are required to wear their identification tag at all times. By wearing a pet identification tag at all times, your pet has a greater chance of being identified.

Is there a limit to the number of pets allowed per dwelling?

No, there is no limit to the number of pets per dwelling.

Do I have to keep my cat indoors or on a leash?

No, you do not have to keep your cat indoors or on a leash. However, cats in the urban area will not be allowed to trespass on another person's property.

The City receives a number of complaints each year about cats doing damage to property and digging up and defecating in gardens and children's play areas. Under the bylaw, the property owner would have the right to take the trespassing cat to the pound.

Do I have to keep my dog on a leash?

Yes, dogs must be kept on a leash at all times, except when they are on your property or on the property of someone who has given permission for your dog to go unleashed.

How do I update my mailing address?

Access and update your records online by logging into your account or contacting docupet at or 1-855-249-1370.

How do I remove my deceased pet from your records?

Contact docupet at or 1-855-249-1370.

Where do I send proof that I have now had my licensed pet spayed/neutered?

Contact the City via:

Phone: 613-546-4291, ext. 3150
Fax: 613-542-1332

How do I contact Animal Control with a complaint?

City East/West
To report dogs running at large or any dog related infractions for the City of Kingston East and West, contact 613-546-4291 ext. 3135 (24 hours a day, 7 days a week).

City Central
To report dog and cat infractions for the City of Kingston Central, contact 613-546-4291 ext. 3135 (Monday to Friday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., and Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. At all other times, contact 613-546-4291 ext. 3117).

For residents who have encounters with any other type of animal, please refer to the information on our Wildlife webpage.

How can I learn more about the Animal Control Bylaw?

Download the Animal Control Bylaw.

Links - Rec Dog Parks

Contact Main - Res - Licensing & Registration