New to Kingston
Explore the Newcomers web portal – an information resource built to meet the needs of new Kingstonians!
Welcome to your new home!
Welcome! Thank you for joining our community.
You have come to the right place – the Newcomer's web portal gives you all the information you need to make your home in Kingston and enjoy your life here.
On the Newcomers website, you will find links to community information on jobs, schools, public transit, housing, recreational activities and more. You can find out more about life in Kingston, our people, our communities and our history.
Whatever your interests, Kingston has something for you. Our historic downtown and charming neighbourhoods are filled with shopping, dining and other experiences for you to enjoy.
Welcome home. We are happy to have you here and wish you all the best as you settle into your community!
Mayor Bryan Paterson
City of Kingston
Get your newcomers welcome gift from the City
The City of Kingston gives newcomers welcome gifts!
What is the newcomers' welcome gift?
The newcomer's welcome gift includes:
- A Kingston Transit pass
- A Fit Pass for City recreation programs and services
- A voucher for two passes to select shows at the Grand Theatre
- A family day-pass to the MacLachlan Woodworking Museum or the Pump House Steam Museum
How do I get it?
You can receive the newcomers' welcome gift if you arrived in Kingston within the last year and are:
- A temporary worker
- A permanent resident
- A refugee
(You do not get the welcome gift if you are an international student, visitor or have lived in Canada for more than five years.)
To pick up your newcomers' welcome gift, visit one of the following locations
- Immigrant Services Kingston and Area (ISKA) at 263 Weller Ave.
- Association canadienne-française de l'Ontario, Conseil régional des Mille-Iles (ACFOMI) at the Barriefield Centre, 760 Highway 15.
You will meet settlement workers who will offer you the newcomers' welcome gift and help answer any questions you have about living in Kingston.
Your settlement worker will ask you to complete a short form and then, you will receive the newcomers' welcome gift for you and/or your family.
Here are some City links you might also like to explore:
- Find out about recreation programs and activities
- Learn how to sort your garbage, recycling and organic waste
- See when your garbage, green bin and recycling are collected
- Take public transit using Kingston Transit
- Access community programs and services, including childcare, affordable housing and temporary financial assistance
- View performances and events at the Grand Theatre
- Take a self-guided tour of City Hall
- Open a utility account with Utilities Kingston
- View Kingston city council's 2015-2018 strategic plan and milestones achieved