The City welcomes and encourages all residents to participate in its recreation programs. Every effort will be made for the child or adult to participate in an integrated program or targeted service.
Support persons accompanying participants are admitted to program or facility at no cost. Support persons include:
- A support worker that is provided by a social service agency or the family
- A family member or friend that is familiar with the participants needs and abilities
- A caregiver that is familiar with the participants needs and abilities, i.e. nanny/babysitter
Leisure Connections Program
A year-round social/recreation program for independent or one-to-one supported adults. Adults of mixed abilities have the opportunity to participate in weekly coordinated recreation activities, events and excursions such as bowling, swimming, karaoke, community events, dancing, crafts, movie nights, game nights, sports and more. We also have a very popular baseball team during the summer months!
Requirements: Participants are responsible for their own self-care needs (transportation, medication, toileting and feeding). Those who are not independent in all self-care skills must provide their own one-to-one support person to meet their needs.
Location: Artillery Park Aquatic Centre and various locations depending on activity.
Registration: Call 613-546-4291, ext. 1706.
Private Swim Lessons
One-on-one instruction is designed to better tailor the lesson to the individual needs of each participant in a fun learning environment. Skills introduced are survival techniques and gaining a new level of comfort in the water.
Registration: Call 613-546-4291, ext. 1719 or 1722.
Hearts in Action - Cardiac Rehab Support
Cardiac patients can continue their post-cardiac rehabilitation programs in a safe, reliable and comfortable environment. Certified Personal Trainers supervise participants as they work through individual programs in a group setting up to five days a week.
Pre-requisite: Referral/fitness sheet from Hotel Dieu Cardiac Rehabilitation Centre.
Location: INVISTA Centre - 613-546-4291, ext. 1803
Pool time is available to workout individually or with your health practitioner/trainer on your prescribed exercises in a warm therapeutic pool. No formal class instruction. A qualified lifeguard is on duty and pool equipment is available for use. The therapeutic swim is combined with the older adult swim.
- Aqua Arthritis – for those who suffer from chronic conditions such as arthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, osteoporosis and Parkinson's disease and who would benefit from warm-water movement and exercise.
- Aqua Focus Groups – for individuals looking to strengthen and train their bodies in warm water to help relieve many aches, pains and/or to recover from injury.
- Exercise and Falls Prevention Program – designed to help older adults maintain their independence. Sessions incorporate both an educational and exercise component. Offered in partnership with VON
- Therapeutic Pilates for Back Pain – addresses the underlying structural imbalances in the body that lead to back pain.