Content - Residents - Recreation - Registration - FAQ
Content - Rec - Programs - Registration - FAQ new
The following is a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about online registration. If you can't find the answers to your questions, please contact us at 613-546-0000 or 613-546-4291 extension 1700, 1800 or 1900 - Monday to Friday 7 a.m. to 9 p.m., or Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m., or contact us online at email@example.com.
- What is CityofKingston.ca/Play?
- When can I create my account in the new system?
- What should I do if I can't access my account?
- Will my account information be automatically updated into the new system?
- Why doesn't the Recreation Department recreate all customer accounts?
- What types of notifications and emails will I received?
Registering for programs
- How can I register for a program?
- How do I register for a program online?
- Can I register for a program online that has already started?
- I am unable to register for the course I want, why not?
- I don't know the address of the facility where my course is being held?
- How can I see the programs in which my family members are currently registered?
- Will I still access drop-in programs the same way?
- How can I find the course number for a program?
Paying for recreation programs
- How do I pay for programs?
- Is my credit card and banking information secure?
- How do I access SPARK?
- I don't feel comfortable using a credit card over the Internet. Can I still use CityofKingston.ca/Play to register?
- Can you store my credit card information for future use?
- I have a credit on my account; can I use it to pay anything else at the City?
- Whom do I contact if I'm having technical problems?
- Who can use /Play to register for recreation programs?
- Can I use /Play if I don't have an account?
- How do I set-up my /Play account?
- How can I add family members to my account?
Cancellations, withdrawals and refunds
- What is your cancellation policy?
- How do I withdraw from a program?
- What is your refund policy?
- Will I still receive a confirmation receipt in the mail?
CityofKingston.ca/Play is the web address to reach the new customer portal that allows you to access online services offered by the City of Kingston. You can also use the portal to view the availability of City recreation facilities such as arenas, parks and meeting rooms. This new system replaces CityofKingston.ca/eCity
You can create your account in the new system starting at 9 a.m. on March 13. We recommend setting up an account in the new system before program registration begins at 6 p.m. on March 21.
Try these trouble shooting tips to access your /PLAY account.
- Make sure you have received your verification email with username and password information
- Check junk mail or spam filters if not received
- Request a password reset by clicking the "Forgot your password" link (you will be emailed a new temporary password to access the system)
- Your temporary login email information is only valid for 48 hours. If you waited more than a day or two to login with that information, it will have expired and you will need to request a new one.
- If you can not access after following these steps, please visit Artillery Park Aquatic Centre, the INVISTA Centre or the Rideau Heights Community Centre & Library during business hours or call 613-546-4291 Ext.1700, 1800, or 1900 for staff assistance (Note: call volume will be higher than usual during registration which begins at 6:00 pm on March 21, 2019)
- If you have tried to login more than 5 times unsuccessfully, you will get locked out your PLAY account for 15 minutes as a security precaution. Your account is unlocked 15 minutes after the last unsuccessful attempt.
If you have an active membership, credits on your account greater than $10, or with allocated subsidy balances, your account will be manually created in the new system by City recreation staff.
If you have provided a valid email address, you will receive an email and a link with your new account ID and details pertaining to your account.
All other customers are encouraged to create a new account prior to the launch of the system.
Since launching our last software application, more than 50,000 clients have been created. Many of these client profiles are obsolete or incomplete. To ensure that we only bring current and accurate information into our new recreation software application, we're asking clients to create their own customer accounts.
Clients can choose to receive transactional documents such as receipts, registration confirmations, membership agreements, rental agreements, withdrawal or transfer confirmations, scheduled payment agreements and payment reminders, waitlist updates, etc.
You may also receive periodic e-newsletters with information about new programs, service opportunities, and special events. In addition, we will notify you of any service disruptions or situations that may affect your experience with City recreation programs and services.
There are two ways to register for a municipal recreation program:
Online at CityofKingston.ca/Play. Create an account and then browse and register for the programs you want.
In person at:
- Artillery Park Aquatic Centre: Monday to Friday 6:00 a.m .– 9:30 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- INVISTA Centre: Monday to Sunday 8:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Rideau Heights Community Centre: Monday to Sunday 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Login to your Cityofkingston.ca/Play account
- Click on Program Registration
- Select your Activity
- Click the Register button (or view information by clicking More Information if course is not open for registration)
- Follow the link to register (Verify the displayed course dates)
- Proceed to select the family member to register and respond to allergy questions
- Book another event or proceed to checkout
- Process payment
- Print and retain the online receipt once your payment has been successfully completed.
Some programs will be available for online registration after the start date and will be identified as active online.
Due to fee structures and/or necessary prerequisites, some courses may be displayed but may not be available for online registration.
- From your Client Account, Click on the My Profile tab and select the My Info option
- Select any one of the family members
- Expand the Schedules tab
- Select any/all family members for a calendar view of bookings
Clients with a Swim & Skate Membership or a FIT Pass will receive an ID card. ID cards will be printed with a barcode and clients will be required to scan their cards prior to each visit/class* to record their attendance. Clients who purchase Swim & Skate Tickets or Aquafit/Fitness Tickets will receive a reloadable card. As clients use their tickets, the cards will be scanned and the ticket balance will be adjusted for each scan.
* Some off-site facilities will not have the equipment required to scan cards. In these instances, clients are asked to show their ID card or receipt to the instructor.
You can easily browse programs online at CityofKingston.ca/Play using the filtering tools to select an activity, or you can locate course numbers for programs in the Leisure Guide. Once you have the number, you can go directly to the program by entering it into the search on the Program Registration page.
VISA, VISADebit, MasterCard, and American Express or authorized gift cards are accepted for online payment of programs. To pay with cheque, cash or debit, please visit our office at Artillery Park Aquatic Centre, 382 Bagot St., INVISTA Centre, 1350 Gardiners Rd., or the Rideau Heights Community Centre, 85 MacCauley St.
Yes. The new software application and payment processor are fully encrypted and payment card industry compliant to ensure your personal information is secure.
The Subsidy Program for Affordable Recreation in Kingston (SPARK) reduces the cost of City-run recreation and leisure programs for Kingston residents of all ages. This funding is available on a first-come, first-serve basis until the annual budget has been spent. Families or individuals must apply through the Municipal Fee Assistance Program. (MFAP) Clients with allocated SPARK subsidy will be able to register for programs online. The previous $2 service fee no longer applies.
I don't feel comfortable using a credit card over the Internet. Can I still use CityofKingston.ca/Play to register?
No. Alternatively, you can register in person at the recreation facilities listed above.
Yes, the new system can securely store payment card information. Clients can add this information through the Checkout by clicking "Remember this card" or this can be set up under the My Profile tab in the Finance Info tab.
No. Credits on accounts can only be used for authorized recreation programs and services.
Recreation and leisure services staff are available to assist you with technical problems. Call 613-546-0000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Anyone who creates an account at /Play can register for a program. Creating an account is free and only requires a valid email address.
No. You must create an account at CityofKingston.ca/Play be able to register for programs.
- From the Client Account, Click the My Profile tab
- Select Add Family Member and proceed with information
If a program is full, the Register button will be replaced with a Waitlist button, which you can select to be added to the waitlist. Should a space become available, you will receive an email notification with an option to Register.
If the minimum number of participants has not been met three days prior to the course start date, the program will be cancelled. You will receive a full refund for the program fee. Register early to help ensure your program is not cancelled.
Insufficient registrations, facility malfunction, or other circumstances beyond our control may necessitate the cancellation of a program. In the event that the City cancels a program every effort will be made to reschedule or to transfer the participant to another course. If alternate arrangements cannot be made, a full refund will be issued. Refund credits will be placed on your account (for any recreation or aquatic program use) unless otherwise requested.
You must submit a request in writing to the Artillery Park Aquatic Centre, INVISTA Centre, the Rideau Heights Community Centre or by e-mail to email@example.com If the request falls within our refund policy, a credit for the amount of the withdrawal will be placed on your account for future registrations.
Refunds will be processed to the account within 30 days of the request and are subject to a $10 administration fee unless the program has been cancelled by the City.
Withdrawal/refund requests may be made no later than one business day prior to the third class. Withdrawal/refund requests received on or after the start date of the program, regardless of class start time, will be pro-rated as of the date of notification.
Withdrawal/refund requests made on or after the day of the third class of the program, regardless of class start time, will be processed for medical reasons ONLY for the remaining classes of the program and must be accompanied by a doctor's note. Requests will be processed as of the date of notification and cannot be backdated. Medical requests are not subject to a service charge.
Programs: Withdraw at least 48 hours before a program starts to receive a refund. Request for refunds made after this will be prorated as of the date of written notification. A $10 administration fee will apply. No refunds will be issued after the third class except for certified medical reasons. Full refunds will be issued for course cancellations only.
Memberships: Withdrawal/refund requests made on or after 50 per cent of the membership period has elapsed will be processed for medical reasons only, for the time remaining on the membership, and must be accompanied by a doctor's note. Requests will be processed as of the date of notification and cannot be backdated.
No. If you require a receipt you must print the receipt provided at the time you have completed your online registration.