Marriage Licences

Nested Applications


Content - Resident - Licenses - Marriage Licenses

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, services are affected at City facilities. Marriage licenses are not being issued. Check the COVID-19 page for more information. 

Couples planning to marry in Ontario can get their marriage licence through the City of Kingston.

Save time at City Hall

Fill out the Marriage License Application ahead of time, and bring it with you when you apply for your marriage licence. The form must be signed by both parties wishing to wed, and proper identification is required.

A licence is valid anywhere in Ontario for 90 days from the date of issue. There is no waiting period between the date your licence is issued and your date of marriage.

Additional Information


$162.50 - Payments may be made using cash, money order, Interac, Visa, Mastercard and/or American Express.

Blood Tests

Not required in Ontario prior to the issuance of a Marriage Licence.

Waiting Period

There is no required waiting period between the issuance of Marriage Licence and the marriage ceremony.

Three Month Validity

Once issued, a Marriage Licence is valid for three months and may be used at any location within the Province of Ontario.

Both Signatures Required

The Marriage Licence Application form (also available from the Payment Centre at City Hall or from the link above

Identification Required

Both parties must provide two pieces of identification (originals only).

Accepted identification includes one of the following:

  • Birth certificate and any change of name certificates
  • Record of immigrant landing
  • Canadian citizenship card
  • Permanent resident card.

AND one these sources of photo ID:

  • A BYID age of majority card
  • A driver's licence


  • A valid passport alone is sufficient

Obtaining a licence when one party is absent

Either applicant may submit the completed application form to the Payment Centre at Kingston City Hall in order to obtain the Marriage Licence, provided that they present the required identification for both parties.

Applicants age 16 and 17

Applicants that are age 16 and 17 must have the consent of their parents. Further information with respect to these situations is available from the Payment Centre at City Hall.

Widowed Applicants

Applicants who are widowed are not required to provide proof of the death of their spouse.

Divorced Applicants

Within Canada: Applicants who have been divorced within Canada are required to produce either the original or a certified copy of the Decree Absolute or Certificate of Divorce. Certification must be obtained through the court where the divorce was granted. A photocopy is not acceptable.

In the case of a divorce granted in Quebec, we will only accept the Divorce Judgment if issued before 1986.

Outside Canada: Applicants who have been divorced outside Canada are required to follow a different process in order to ensure that their divorce is honoured in Canada. This process may take up to three weeks. Please consult the Payment Centre for further information.

Marriage Ceremonies

A civil marriage ceremony performed by a Judge, Justice of the Peace or City Clerk is not available in Kingston.

It is important to ensure that your marriage is performed properly and legally. To access lists of religious officials who are registered to perform marriages, check the ServiceOntario website or call 1-800-461-2156.

Image - Res - Licenses - Marriage

Newlywed Couple

Links - Res - Licenses - Marriage Licenses

Docs - Res - Licenses - Marriage

Contact - Res - Licenses general

View Larger Map