Skip to main content Skip to footer

Utilities Disruption

A utilities disruption is a significant interruption in essential services like electricity, water, and communication. It can cause inconvenience and potential safety and economic impacts. 

There are different utility providers depending on the area where you live. 

Electricity outages  

If you experienced power outages, Utilities Kingston, Hydro One and Eastern Ontario Power provide electricity in the Kingston area. If you are not sure who is providing your electricity check the services areas map for guidance. 

  • You can stay informed about power outages and restoration times by either checking the storm center map or using Hydro One’s mobile app. 
  • You can call Hydro One’s Storm Centre at 1-800-434-1235 for more information.

  • Call the 24-hour emergency line at 1-844-601-9473

Basement Flooding 

A flooded basement could be dangerous because of electric shock or gas leaks. If you are unsure, do not go into the flooded area. If you are sure, it is safe, turn off your home’s power. 

If you smell gas, leave your home right away and call: 

    • Utilities Kingston customers at 613-546-1181 
    • Enbridge customers at 1-877-969-0999 

Check Utilities Kingston’s Basement Flooding page. 

To stop possible floods: 

    • Make sure your sump pump and sewer backflow valve work well
    • Use less water during heavy rainfall

See Utilities Kingston’s Flood Facts page to help protect your basement. 

Gas leaks 

If the gas is leaking, you must: 

    • Leave the area right away and dial 9-1-1
    • Do not smoke, use matches, or lighters
    • Do not use your phone, switches, or electrical things, Sparks can start a fire

For non-emergencies about gas services: 

    • Utilities Kingston customers call 613-546-1181 
    • Enbridge customers call 1-877-969-099 

For more on gas leaks and other gas emergencies, visit Utilities Kingston’s Emergency gas leaks page.

Water and sewer issues

For water or sewer issues call Utilities Kingston on 613-546-1181. 

If water is coming up from the ground, the water pressure is low, or you do not have water, call Utilities Kingston. This could be a water main break. 

    • If you are worried about the water quality, officials will tell you what to do, like boiling or treating water. 
    • During a drought, you will be asked to save water. In summer from June 15 to Sept. 15 there are water restrictions. 

Visit Utilities Kingston’s water and sewer emergencies pages for more information. 

The City of Kingston acknowledges that we are on the traditional homeland of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee and the Huron-Wendat, and thanks these nations for their care and stewardship over this shared land.

Today, the City is committed to working with Indigenous peoples and all residents to pursue a united path of reconciliation.

Learn more about the City's reconciliation initiatives.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy statement.