Where to drop your yard waste
Kingston Area Recycling Centre - Yard Waste Drop Off (196 Lappans Ln.)
- Tree limbs and root balls up to 40 cm (15") in diameter and up to 90 cm (3') in length.
- Sod if most of the soil is removed.
- Christmas trees
Norterra Organics (2069 Joyceville Rd.) - Call 613-546-0884 for hours.
Consider feeding yard waste to your garden!
- Grass-cycling is good for your lawn! Cut grass when dry and leave the clippings where they fall. Grass should be kept about three inches long.
- Using leaves as mulch in your garden.
- Consider backyard composting. Get a backyard composter at KARC for $43.
Fall brush and leaf collection
The City collects brush and leaves in the fall.
- Brush is collected city-wide and then leaves are collected. Brush will not be collected on a leaf collection and leaves will not be collected during brush collection.
- Collection trucks may be in your neighbourhood before your collection week. We are just trying to get ahead of the collection and will return on your scheduled week.
- Do not set out materials more than two weeks in advance of your collection week.
- Set your brush/leaves out by 8 a.m. on your collection week. Crews may come at any time throughout the week.
See a video on how to put out your fall brush and leaves so they are collected as expected.
Brush: how to put it out so it's collected on your collection week
Place brush at to the curb by 8 a.m. on the Monday of your fall brush collection week.
Brush is any material that is generated from trimming small trees, bushes lilacs, etc. Stumps, logs and root balls are not considered brush.
Place brush out with the cut end facing the curb. Pieces may not exceed 90 cm (three feet) in length or 15 cm (six inches) in diameter. Bundled brush will not be collected.
Material that does not meet these requirements will be left behind.
Leaves: how to put it out so they are collected on fall collection week
Place leaves at to the curb by 8 a.m. on the Monday of your fall leaf collection week.
Put your leaves out for collection in either brown (kraft) paper bags or in rigid-sided containers with two handles, like a garbage can or bushel. All bags or containers must be under the weight limit of 20kg (44lbs).
You may include small sticks, tomato plants and other garden waste with your leaves.
Leaves raked to the curb will not be collected.
Soil, sod and root balls are not accepted.
Leaves in plastic bags – including compostable plastic bags – will not be accepted. These materials are not compostable in our leaf and brush program.
Missed collection or other collection issues
Was your waste missed? First look for a notice tag or sticker from solid waste staff. Still not sure why it was left behind? Call 613-546-0000 or email email@example.com.