Skip to main content Skip to footer

Commissioner of Oaths

A Commissioner of Oaths in Ontario has the authority to administer oaths when you sign an affidavit or statutory declaration. The Province of Ontario grants them this authority through the Commissioners for Taking Affidavits Act. It's important to note that the Commissioner is not responsible for the content of the affidavit. 

Need to take an oath? 

It is not guaranteed that a document can be commissioned until the Commissioner has viewed it. If you would like to be sure, please email with a copy of the document for review.  

Note: Documents not in English must be translated by a certified translator at your expense before they can be commissioned. 

To take an oath: 

  1. Bring valid government identification to prove who you are, showing your name, photo, and signature. 
  2. Bring the document. Your document must be completed before your visit; however, you must not sign the affidavit of the document.  
  3. Visit the Payment Centre in City Hall between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m. from Monday to Friday. 
  4. If the affidavit requires multiple parties to sign (i.e. you and your spouse), you must both be present to sign in front of the Commissioner, with the proper photo identification. 

The cost for this service is $41.85 ($20.95 for eligible residents on the Municipal Fee Assistance Program). You can pay with cash, a money order, Interac, Visa, MasterCard, or American Express.

Your responsibility  

If you must sign a legal paper that needs you to swear it is true, remember, you are the one responsible for what's written in it. When you swear it is true, you are called the "deponent." Your signature confirms that everything in the paper is correct. 

As a deponent, you should understand what's in the paper and know that you're saying it's all true when you swear to it. 

Documents that can be signed 

Whether the Commissioner of Oaths chooses to sign a document is entirely up to their discretion. If the Commissioner of Oaths has any doubts about the identity of the person making the declaration or the content of the document for any reason, they may decline to sign it and the person making the declaration would be advised to consult a lawyer.  

If you would like to be sure, please email with a copy of the document for review.  

Commissioner of Oaths and a Notary Public 

There are certain documents that a Commissioner of Oaths cannot sign. It is important to understand the difference between a Commissioner of Oaths and a Notary Public. 

A Commissioner of Oaths is not the same as a Notary Public. If you need a document to be "notarized" instead of "commissioned," you should seek a Notary Public, who is typically a lawyer and not a Commissioner of Oaths. We do not have a Notary Public. 

A Notary Public is authorized under the Notaries Act to handle various tasks, such as commissioning documents, certifying or notarizing documents as true copies, and verifying signatures. Becoming a Notary Public involves stricter requirements compared to becoming a commissioner, and most public notaries are lawyers or judicial officers. 

  • Affidavit of Proof of Loss of Motor Vehicle/Boat (from an insurance company)  
  • Affidavit of Unregistered Vehicle (boats, motorcycles, snowmobiles, trailers etc)  
  • Application to Amend Birth Registration  
  • Boat / Trailer Ownership Transfers – Sworn statement for a transfer of a used boat/trailer in the Province of Ontario  
  • Consent Letter (for traveling with a child)  
  • Delayed Birth Registration Forms  
  • Election to change of name of child under the age of 12  
  • Invitation letters for a visitor’s visa  
  • Pension proof of life & residency documents  
  • Statement of Conscience or Religious Belief – Immunization of School Pupils Act.  
  • Statutory Declaration for Application to Change an Adult’s Name  
  • Statutory Declaration for Application to Change a Child’s Name  
  • Statutory Declaration of Apprenticeship hours  
  • Statutory Declaration for a Change of Sex Designation on a Birth Registration of an Adult  
  • Statutory Declaration in Lieu of Guarantor (Canadian Passport)  
  • Statutory Declaration of Lost Identification (other valid photo id must be provided)  
  • Statutory Declaration for OSAP (Common Law Status/Supporting Children)  
  • Sworn statement for a family Gift of a used Vehicle in the Province of Ontario.  
  • Vehicle Ownership Transfers – Sworn statement for a transfer of a used vehicle in the Province of Ontario. 

  • Age of Majority/Bring Your Identification (BYID) card application  
  • Bank/Financial forms  
  • Court related documents (Legal and/or Civil)  
  • Custody documents  
  • Divorce, separation, marriage or cohabitation documents/agreements  
  • Documents that require Certified True Copies  
  • Documents that require the signature of a Notary Public  
  • Documents requiring the signature of a guarantor (with the exception of a Canadian Passport)  
  • Estate settlement documents  
  • Incomplete documents  
  • International educational institution or association documents, including photographs.  
  • Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services Family Responsibility Office forms  
  • Power of attorney  
  • Real estate related documents/statements/transfer of land documents  
  • Wills, living wills, codicil to a will 

  • Documents that explicitly mention "Notary" and do not provide the option of a Commissioner of Oaths. This often happens with documents from outside Ontario or Canada. The City can't guarantee that the authority of a Commissioner of Oaths will be recognized in such cases. 
  • Matters related to land transfer and other real estate transactions. 
  • Passports and related documents in certain situations. 

The City of Kingston acknowledges that we are on the traditional homeland of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee and the Huron-Wendat, and thanks these nations for their care and stewardship over this shared land.

Today, the City is committed to working with Indigenous peoples and all residents to pursue a united path of reconciliation.

Learn more about the City's reconciliation initiatives.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy statement.