Skip to main content Skip to footer

Noise Exemption Application

If your event may cause excessive noise that may violate our Noise Bylaw, you need to apply for a temporary noise exemption. Our Noise Bylaw helps to keep neighbourhoods safe and enjoyable for everyone. Please respect your community by following these requirements. 

Minor noise exemption requests 

If your event may cause minor excessive noise, such as for a limited time or with minimal effect on the community, please submit a noise exemption application at least 14 days ahead of the event. 

Amplified-sound noise exemption requests 

You may need an amplified-sound noise exemption if your event: 

  • Runs for multiple days 
  • Causes noise that has the potential to cause a significant negative effect on the community 
  • Is held on or may impact large public property 
  • Has a large number of participants 

An amplified-sound noise request follows the same general application process but must be brought to Council for approval at least 8 weeks ahead of the event.

Application process 

To complete the application, you will need: 

  • The name and address of the applicant(s) 
  • Point of contact for the event (if different from applicant) 
  • A description of the source of the sound or vibration your event may cause 
  • The specific time frame you are requesting the exemption for 
  • The reasons why you need the exemption, such as the purpose of the event and use of the minor excessive noise  
  • To pay the applicable application fee. For 2024, a minor noise exemption permit is $100.00 and an amplified-sound noise exemption permit is $350.00. 

As part of the review and approval process, we include 2 mandatory consultations: 

  1. Public Consultation: this is an opportunity for the public to comment on your proposed noise exemption. We will work with you to set the dates for this after you submit your application. 
    • We will post notice of the request on our website for at least 10 business days.  
    • We will help arrange for a public notice advertisement in the Kingston Whig-Standard, but you must pay for it and the invoice will go directly to you. 
  2. Council Consultation: for minor noise exemptions we will consult with the affected District Councillor, and for amplified-sound noise exemptions we will also consult with Council. This includes a review of: 
    • Any prior event history, if applicable 
    • Any prior Bylaw interactions with the applicant(s) or event location, if applicable 
    • The distance to any surrounding residential areas and the likelihood of the noise negatively effecting those communities 
    • Potential noise mitigation measures to reduce or avoid any possible negative impacts, such as limiting the noise exemption to certain days or times of the day 
    • Any comments received during the public consultation period 


Our bylaw enforcement officers and Kingston Police can and will enforce our Noise Bylaw and Nuisance Party Bylaw as necessary to help ensure public safety and respect. 

The City of Kingston acknowledges that we are on the traditional homeland of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee and the Huron-Wendat, and thanks these nations for their care and stewardship over this shared land.

Today, the City is committed to working with Indigenous peoples and all residents to pursue a united path of reconciliation.

Learn more about the City's reconciliation initiatives.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy statement.