Skip to main content Skip to footer

Plumbing and Sewage System Permits

You must obtain a building permit from the City for constructing or altering an onsite sewage system with a daily capacity of 10,000 litres or less.

Permits for systems over 10,000 litres per day are issued through the Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks. This permit application is reviewed for compliance with the Ontario Building Code, local zoning bylaws, and the Cataraqui Region Conservation Authority regulations. 

Constructing or altering a sewage system without a permit is illegal and subject to penalties, including a non-refundable administrative surcharge fee as per the City of Kingston Building Bylaw.  

Apply online through DASH (Development and Services Hub), our online portal that gives you 24/7 access to municipal development services and active development activity. 

When to get a plumbing permit 

Learn when you need to obtain a plumbing permit and when you don't.

When you only want to make changes or add a new system, such as backflow prevention devices, sewer laterals or back water valve. 

Permits are required for both residential and non-residential buildings. 

When applying for a new home, addition, or alteration building permit, there is no need for a separate sewage system record as we will review the sewage system in conjunction with the building permit. Plans and specifications should be uploaded to the building permit record. Additional fees for septic review may be charged. 

Sewage system permit guide 

When you want to make changes or add to a building that already exists, we will check if the sewage system can handle the new fixtures being added. You need to fill out an application for review of performance level of existing on-site sewage system and upload it to your DASH record. 

  1. Set up a DASH account   
  2. You do not need to pay your building permit fee until the application has been submitted and accepted. 
  3. Submit a site evaluation that includes: 
      1. Date evaluation completed
      2. Contact information of person completing the evaluation
      3. Depth to rock and soil saturation 
      4. Soil properties including soil permeability
      5. Soil conditions including the potential for flooding
  4. Submit a current site plan indicating: 
      1. Dimensions of property and lot size, legal description, existing rights-of ways, or easements
      2. Location of all buildings proposed or existing
      3. Location of the proposed sewage system including tank, filter bed, trenches or any other septic component with dimensions to buildings, property lines and any water body (lakes, ponds, streams, high water line). 
      4. Location of well with dimensions to the proposed sewage system components. 
  5. Upload the completed Sewage System Calculation Page for Class 3,4,5, Sewage Systems or Class 2 Sewage Systems as applicable. 

Is your sewage system adjacent to a water body? 

If you are planning to install a sewage system near a water body, you must also secure a permit from the Cataraqui Region Conservation Authority before obtaining a building permit for sewage systems within Cataraqui Region Conservation Authority jurisdiction. Contact them at 613-546-4228 for more information. 

Required inspections

The property owner or their contractor must use the online DASH portal to schedule inspections for: 

  1. Checking the soil conditions and percolation test
  2. Examining the excavation work
  3. Before covering up the sewage system
  4. The final inspection

The City of Kingston acknowledges that we are on the traditional homeland of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee and the Huron-Wendat, and thanks these nations for their care and stewardship over this shared land.

Today, the City is committed to working with Indigenous peoples and all residents to pursue a united path of reconciliation.

Learn more about the City's reconciliation initiatives.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy statement.