Grey Box Recycling
The grey box is used to collect paper products, cardboard and plastic bags.
It's collected every other week (alternating with the blue box). Have it out for collection by 6 a.m. on your collection day. Each blue box and its contents must weigh less than 20kg (44lbs).
See a video on how to put out your recycling so it is collected as expected.
Need a grey box?
Residents are entitled to one free grey box. You can get a replacement if yours has been lost, stolen or broken. Additional grey boxes cost $5.35/bin. You may put out multiple grey boxes for collection. You may use another rigid-plastic recycling box, but it must have dimensions that are similar to the City-issued box 22" long x 17" wide x 14.5" tall.
Get a City grey box at:
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre,196 Lappan's Lane (also has blue boxes and green bins and will accept damaged bins for recycling).
- City Hall, 216 Ontario St. (also has blue boxes). Open Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (except civic holidays).
- Rideau Heights Community Centre & Library, 85 MacCauley St. (also has blue boxes).
DO put these in your grey box:
- Plastic bags and stretchy plastic film (placed in a tied plastic bag)
- Flyers, junk mail and magazines
- Office paper (all colours)
- Shredded paper (in a clear or transparent tied bag no larger than 90cm x 60cm x 20cm [3' x 2' x 8"])
- Food and beverage cartons (milk, juice, soup, broth, etc)
- Coffee cups – lid removed (place in blue box)
- Corrugated cardboard (may be bundled, but no larger than 90cm x 60cm x 20cm [3' x 2' x 8"])
- Cardboard set out inside another cardboard box will not be collected
DO NOT put these in your grey box:
- Crinkly plastic film, pet-food bags and bubble wrap.
- Greasy pizza boxes (these go in your green bin)
- Meat packaging
- Gift wrap
- Cereal/cracker liners
- Zipper-style plastic bags
Don't know where it goes? Use our Waste Sorting Look-up.
Make sure your grey box is collected as expected
- Place acceptable items loosely in the grey box and set out at the curb by 6 a.m. on your collection day every other week (see collection calendar).
- Put all the plastic bags into one plastic bag and tie it.
- Each grey box and its contents must weigh less than 20kg (44lbs).
Prevent recyclables from becoming blowing litter:
- Place heavier recyclable items on top and lighter items on the bottom.
- All paper products may be placed in an untied plastic bag.
- When you know it will be windy overnight, place your recycling box out for collection by 6 a.m. in the morning of collection.
- Place an unattached piece of wood, like a piece of plywood, over top of the box. The collector will remove it to empty your recycling.
Missed collection or other collection issues
Was your waste missed? First look for a notice tag or sticker from solid waste staff. Still not sure why it was left behind? Call 613-546-0000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.