Skip to main content Skip to footer

Community Development

We are working with our communities to make life better by supporting local groups and creating opportunities for residents and businesses. We also want to ensure everyone can access education, healthcare, affordable food and cultural activities. There are three main areas of focus: 

  • Creating opportunities in neighbourhoods
  • Building connections between neighbours
  • Encouraging innovation in the community

Our goal is to make positive changes that help our residents and communities.

Block parties

Host a block party in your neighbourhood to build connections and improve the community. Knowing your neighbours is important for getting help in emergencies and research shows that when neighbours trust each other, it leads to safer streets and happier, healthier people. 

Steps for hosting a block party in Kingston

To start your application process, please email us at and share with us your idea for closing the street. 

You will also need to speak to your neighbours and find out if your selected date works for most of them. Make sure you talk to everyone on your block, including those across the street from each end of the block, you will need to record their support. At least 65 per cent of households must be in support of closing a street before a permit will be issued.

Setup a team 

Get your neighbours involved in the planning of your block party. They can help with invitations, as well as the setup and cleanup of the party. 

Design your event 

Possible ideas: 

    • Have a potluck
    • Provide name tags to help with introductions
    • Decorate the pavement with chalk to get kids involved

Decide how you will clean up

At the end of the party, make sure you have a good crew of neighbours to help you clean up. You could form an official neighbourhood cleanup party to make cleaning up part of the fun. 

Unsure how much insurance you need?

Please note that we need a $5,000,000 limit per event on a residential street, per occurrence. We can help decide if you will need additional insurance coverage through a private insurance broker.  

The general liability insurance covers us and you to a limit of $5,000,000 for public liability and property damage.  

Liability insurance coverage doesn’t cover: 

    • Liquor liability  
    • The sale of products or food 
    • Trampolines or bouncy castles 
    • Fireworks 
    • Farm animals or other non-domestic animals

Review block party guidelines  

    • Keep alcohol on private property only 
    • Be respectful of party noise and do not use amplified music (as per City of Kingston Noise Bylaw
    • Authorized road closure times are between the hours of 10:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
    • Keep access open to emergency vehicles 
    • Make tables and other structures easy to move 
    • Clean up afterwards 
    • Notify neighbours at least one week in advance 

Apply for a Temporary Right-of-Way Occupancy application 

Apply for your Temporary Right-of-Way Occupancy permit at least six weeks before your party date.  

Before submitting application package check that you have the following: 

    • Insurance certificate ($5,000,000 Liability – naming City of Kingston as additional insured) 
    • Traffic control plan or road closure sketch 
    • Road closure barriers and signs from a third-party rental company 
    • Temporary right-of-way occupancy fee of $119.69 

By signing this application form, the organization or applicant agrees that they have familiarized themselves with the Temporary Right-of-Way Occupancy Requirements attached as Schedule “A” and shall adhere to any and all conditions, including event specific conditions, as stated in the applicable occupancy permit. 

Please consider that metered parking spaces are subject to additional daily rental fees, please email

Remind your neighbours of the party 

After you get approval for your street closure, send out a reminder of the party to your neighbours to mark the date.  

Get barricades 

At this time, we are not able to lend out barricades for block parties. You will need to rent barricades from a third-party to close the road for safety. 

Barricade rental supplier
Beacon Lite
4070 Belgreen Dr. 
Ottawa, ON K1G 3N2 
Phone: 1-888-740-0142 / 613-737-7337 

The City of Kingston acknowledges that we are on the traditional homeland of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee and the Huron-Wendat, and thanks these nations for their care and stewardship over this shared land.

Today, the City is committed to working with Indigenous peoples and all residents to pursue a united path of reconciliation.

Learn more about the City's reconciliation initiatives.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy statement.