Skip to main content Skip to footer


In case of immediate danger or if an animal is aggressive and may injure someone, call 911.

Wildlife refers to animals and organisms that live in the wild, outside of human control. We do not regulate wild animals, such as coyotes or racoons. Wildlife concerns on private property are the responsibility of the landowner. If you have concerns about wildlife on your property, try calling pest or animal control companies for further information and support. 

Livestock and wild animals 

The Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program provides reimbursement for eligible producers whose livestock and / or poultry have been injured or killed as a result of wildlife predation. Learn about the application requirements and process. 

If you have an injured or deceased livestock due to wildlife predation, call us at 613-546-4291 ext. 3150 to speak with a livestock evaluator. 

Suspected wildlife diseases 

If you suspect wildlife disease, call the Canadian Cooperative Wildlife Health Centre to help with diagnosis at 866-673-4781. 

Wildlife encounters 

  • Dealing with wildlife issues on private property is the landowner's responsibility. You can hire pest control or animal control companies to remove wildlife from your property. 
  • If your pet or livestock is bitten by or has direct contact with a wild animal, contact your veterinarian. 
  • For encounters between potentially rabid raccoons, skunks, foxes, or bats and domestic animals, contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency at 1-800-442-2342. 
  • If you encounter a black bear and are in immediate danger, call 911. For other black bear encounters, call the Ministry of Natural Resources Bear Hotline at 1-866-514-2327. 
  • We do not control coyotes or other wild animals. Check out the Ministry of Natural Resources’  Preventing and Managing Conflicts with Coyotes for more information, or call 1-800-667-1940 (Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., except statutory holidays). 

Contact KFL&A Public Health 

Call 1-800-267-7875 and seek medical attention if you: 

  • Have been bitten or had direct contact with an animal 
  • Encounter a potentially rabid raccoon, skunk, fox, or bat 
  • Wake up to find a bat in your bedroom or sleeping area, or if your pet has encountered a bat 


The City of Kingston acknowledges that we are on the traditional homeland of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee and the Huron-Wendat, and thanks these nations for their care and stewardship over this shared land.

Today, the City is committed to working with Indigenous peoples and all residents to pursue a united path of reconciliation.

Learn more about the City's reconciliation initiatives.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy statement.