Skip to main content Skip to footer

Property Standards Bylaw

The Property Standards Bylaw and the Yards Bylaw establish minimum maintenance standards for buildings and properties in the city, excluding new constructions. These standards cover heating, electrical and plumbing services, pest prevention, graffiti, yards, lands, vacant land and buildings. We recognize the importance of maintaining existing buildings.  

Tenant rights and responsibilities 

As a tenant it is important that you know your rights and responsibilities. From reporting property deficiencies to understanding eviction.  

You can often solve any issues with your landlord without our help. However, if problems persist, we will take action to correct violations. You are responsible for checking the status of reported issues as we will not provide updates. 

In Ontario, your landlord can only evict you in specific situations outlined by the government. They must provide written notice using the proper form from the Landlord and Tenant Board, stating the reason for eviction. Before you are required to move out, your landlord must obtain an eviction order from the Landlord and Tenant Board.  

You have the right to attend a hearing and present your case against eviction. Landlords are encouraged to negotiate a repayment agreement with tenants before seeking eviction, as per the Protecting Tenants and Strengthening Community Housing Act.  

For more information on eviction rules, visit Renting in Ontario: your rights.  

Tenants or former tenants can file a T2 application with the Landlord and Tenant Board if their landlord, superintendent or agent illegally entered the unit, withheld essential services or interfered with their supply, or harassed and threatened them.  

You can view the complete list of circumstances and download the T2 application form on the Landlord and Tenant Board website. Remember, as a tenant, you have rights and can take action to protect them. 

If you are a tenant and facing issues with your rental property, let your landlord or property owner know about any problems or repairs needed. It is best to communicate in writing, but you can also call them. Remember to keep copies of all correspondence. Give them a reasonable timeframe to fix the issues. If they do not address them, you can email or call 613-546-0000. You can also create a MyKingston account to easily submit a property standards complaint form online.

The Property Standards Inspector will contact you within two weeks of receiving the notice to schedule an inspection. Once the inspector confirms the issues, they will send an order listing the repairs to the owner or agent. 

After the prescribed time, we will conduct the inspection to ensure the repairs are completed. If the owner fails to resolve these issues and does not appeal the order, it becomes final and binding and legal action may be taken by us. 

The owner can appeal a property standards order by sending a notice of appeal to the Property Standards Committee, c/o the City Clerk's office within 14 days after receiving the order.  

The Property Standards Committee has the authority to rescind, modify, or confirm the order and can also grant an extension to complete the required work. 

If the property owner fails to address the issues listed in the Order, legal action may be taken. The Building Code Act allows for fines of up to $25,000 for an individual’s first offence and up to $50,000 for subsequent offences. 

For corporations, the fines can reach up to $50,000 for the first offence and up to $100,000 for subsequent offences. 

Property owner responsibilities 

If you own a property, you must repair and maintain your property to meet the standards outlined in the Property Standards and Yard Bylaw. If the property does not comply, you must remove any buildings, structures, garbage, rubbish, waste or other accumulations. 

If you own rental properties, you should regularly them to ensure compliance with the bylaw and inform tenants of their responsibilities in keeping their yards free from debris and violations. 

If you are a property owner and disagree with the order issued by the Property Standards Office, you can appeal by submitting a notice of appeal to the Property Standards Committee, within 14 days. The Property Standards Committee has the power to cancel, modify or confirm the order. 

The committee can also grant you an extension for completing the necessary work. This process enables you to present your case and find a fair resolution to any disputes or concerns you might have. 

Email Notification Program

The Property Standards Email Notification Program notifies you of any issues related to your property.

Sign up/log in to MyKingston to complete your application online and ensure we can fulfill your request effectively. Do you require an alternate format? You can Contact Us.

The City of Kingston acknowledges that we are on the traditional homeland of the Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee and the Huron-Wendat, and thanks these nations for their care and stewardship over this shared land.

Today, the City is committed to working with Indigenous peoples and all residents to pursue a united path of reconciliation.

Learn more about the City's reconciliation initiatives.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy statement.