Blue Box Recycling
Blue Box Recycling
Content - Res - Garbage - Household - Blue box
The blue box is used to collect metal, plastic and glass food and beverage containers as well as rigid plastic packaging for recycling.
It's collected every other week (alternating with the grey box). Have it out for collection by 6 a.m. on your collection day. Each blue box and its contents must weigh less than 20kg (44lbs).
See a video on how to put out your recycling so it is collected as expected.
Need a blue box?
Residents are entitled to two free blue boxes. You can get a replacement if yours has been lost, stolen or broken. Additional blue boxes cost $5.50/bin. You may put out multiple blue boxes for collection. You may use another rigid-plastic recycling box, but it must have dimensions that are similar to the City-issued box 22" long x 17" wide x 14.5" tall.
Get a City blue box at:
- Kingston Area Recycling Centre,196 Lappan's Lane (also has grey boxes and green bins and will accept damaged bins for recycling).
- City Hall, 216 Ontario St. (also has grey boxes). Open Monday to Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (except civic holidays).
- Rideau Heights Community Centre & Library, 85 MacCauley St. (also has grey boxes).
DO put these in your blue box:
- Metal food and beverage cans
- Pop cans, pie plates and clean aluminum foil
- Clear and coloured glass bottles and jars
- Plastic bottles
- Plastic jars, tubs and lids
White Styrofoam (no larger than 90cm x 60cm x 20cm (3'x2'x8"))
- Paper cans with steel lids (eg. potato chip cans)
DO NOT put these in your blue box:
- Grocery bags and stretchy plastic film (goes in the grey box)
- Flatware, window glass and mirrors
- Coloured (blue, pink, black, etc.) Styrofoam
- Plastic containers larger than 10L
- Styrofoam peanuts
- Plastic toys
- Lawn furniture and other oversized plastics
- Crinkly plastic film, pet food bags and bubble wrap.
Don't know where it goes? Use our Waste Sorting Look-up.
Make sure your blue box is collected as expected
- Place acceptable items loosely in the blue box and set out at the curb by 6 a.m. on your collection day every other week (see collection calendar).
- Do not bag recyclables. Bagged materials get stuck in the recycling truck and clog machinery at the processing facility and will not be accepted.
- Each blue box and its contents must weigh less than 20kg (44lbs).
Prevent recyclables from becoming blowing litter:
- Place heavier recyclable items on top (i.e. glass bottles/jars in the blue box) and lighter items (i.e. plastic containers in the blue box) on the bottom.
- When you know it will be windy overnight, place your recycling box out for collection by 6 a.m. in the morning of collection.
- Place an unattached piece of wood, like a piece of plywood, over top of the box. The collector will remove it to empty your recycling.
Content - Waste - General Missed Collection
Missed collection or other collection issues
Was your waste missed? First look for a notice tag or sticker. Still not sure why it was left behind? Call 613-546-0000 or email email@example.com.