Kingston is a community that recognizes that people are its most valuable asset. We create opportunities for all people to enjoy our city and contribute as productive citizens. We will work to prevent and remove barriers for persons with disabilities on City properties and services. We will also create public awareness and educate both the public and private sectors regarding the requirements of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), the Ontario Building Code, and the Ontario Human Rights Code.
The 2018-2022 Multi-Year Accessibility Plan is designed to complement and to be an extension of past plans and accessibility updates. This document includes strategies which will help make the City of Kingston more accessible to all its residents and visitors ensuring the accessibility standards under the AODA are fully implemented by 2025.
The City updates its Accessibility Plan with the help of the Municipal Accessibility Advisory Committee.
Accessibility Concern? Make a Barrier Report.
Let us know if you have experienced one of these five barriers:
- Buildings or areas not adequately accessible to users of mobility aids.
- Outdoor hazards e.g. blocked or damaged sidewalks, overgrown shrubs, inadequate snow or ice removal, malfunctioning lights or cross-walk devices etc.
- Indoor hazards e.g. tripping hazards, inadequate lighting, inadequate alarm systems, rooms or areas inaccessible to users of mobility aids.
- Communication barriers involving service provision or customer service.
- Transportation barriers
If you require information in an alternate format, please call 613-546-0000. We will work with you to understand your specific information and accessibility needs and to provide for them within a reasonable timeframe.
Need to get somewhere?
- Kingston Transit: All routes are served by accessible buses which are low-floor with kneeling capability.
- Kingston Access Bus offers specialized, non-emergency medical and community transportation.
- Accessible Taxis: City Taxi at 613-542-3333 or Amey's Taxi at 613-546-1111 have on demand accessible taxis available.
- Bus detours and holiday changes
- Traffic Report: sidewalk disruptions, road closures and expected traffic delays