Sheep Dog Trials
Annual Sheep Dog Trials Festival - Aug 10 to 12
July 10, 2018 -
The Kingston Sheep Dog Trials Festival returns to Grass Creek Park from Friday, Aug. 10 to Sunday, Aug. 12 with tons of family and pet-friendly fun! The yearly festival has made the Festivals and Events Ontario's Top 100 list for the past 11 years straight!
"This festival really has something for everyone to enjoy. We have a full day of family and pet friendly activities planned," says Emily Hatchette, assistant supervisor of special events. "If you've never experienced this festival before, you are not going to want to miss this one!"
Pay only $10 a person by buying your day passes by Aug. 9 at www.ticketpro.ca (search "Kingston Sheep Dog Trials"). On Aug. 10, tickets will be $15 per person online and at the gate during the event. Kids ages 12 and under are free!
If you plan to bring your dogs along, please be sure to keep them on a leash while roaming the grounds. Don't forget your sunscreen and a water bottle you can refill at the Utilities Kingston Water Buggy!
Schedule of events
The sheep dog trials run daily from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Side attractions run throughout the festival days and include a wide variety of activities and demonstrations.
All day – daily
- Sheep Dog Trials competition
- R.C. Stevenson and Father, Pure Honey Ontario – bee keeping displays and demonstrations:
- Dog Lovers Days, Canadian Canine Lure Course – run your pet through the lure course and see if they have what it takes to be an agility star!
- Marketplace – over two dozen vendors offering both commercial and hand-crafted products.
Kingston Police Service
- K-9 shows, 11 a.m. daily
- Mobile engagment trailer, Friday and Saturday until 3:30 p.m.
- demonstrations with horsemanship expert, Ron Pyne.
- Daily – 10 a.m., 3 p.m.
- By donation
- Daily – 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- three demonstrations daily followed by try-it-yourself sessions.
- Daily - 10:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m., 3:30 p.m.
Ottawa Bark Camp
- interactive training demos and question sessions
- Daily - 10:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m.
- Ask a trainer booth running all day
John Walker, Artisan and General Blacksmith
- black smith demonstrations.
- Friday and Saturday - 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday - 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Rideau River Dock Dogs
- water retrieval competition and try-it-yourself demos. Register for the competition at www.rideauriverdockdogs.com
- Friday – 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Saturday – 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Sunday – 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Sheep-to-Shawl spinning and weaving demonstrations
- daily, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Saturday, 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Saturday – 3:30 p.m.
Free shuttle and parking
Grass Creek Park is located at 2991 Highway 2. A free shuttle bus will run from the Toys R Us parking lot, the Kingston Memorial Centre and the Marriott Hotel at Kings Crossing. Shuttles are dog-friendly, so long as they are kept on a leash. There will be limited parking at Grass Creek Park. Shuttle information is available at www.CityofKingston.ca/FeatureEvents.
Accessible parking, drop-off areas, portable washrooms, seating areas, assistive hearing devices and mat-paths will be on-site throughout the event. Contact Emily Hatchette at firstname.lastname@example.org with any concerns about accessibility.
Grass Creek Beach will be open by admission only from Aug. 10 to 12. The dog park will close to the public from Aug. 4 to 13. The boat launch will close Aug. 8 to 13.
About the City of Kingston
Kingston's vision of being a smart, livable 21st century city is fast becoming reality. History and innovation thrive in our dynamic city located along the beautiful shores of Lake Ontario, an easy drive from Toronto, Ottawa and Montreal, in the heart of eastern Ontario. With a stable and diversified economy that includes global corporations, innovative startups and all levels of government, Kingston's high quality of life offers access to world-class education and research institutions, advanced healthcare facilities, affordable living and vibrant entertainment and tourism activities.
Media contact: For more information call the communications and customer experience department at 613-546-4291, ext. 2300.