Provincial Offences Court

Nested Applications


Contact - Provincial Offences Court

Provincial Offences Building

Alert - Facilities - COVID 19 DO NOT CHANGE!

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic services are affected at City facilities. Check the COVID-19 page for more information. 

Content - City Hall - Provincial Offences Court

All Provincial Offences Act (POA) matters scheduled through July 3 will be rescheduled to a later date due to the COVID-19 pandemic. If you have a matter scheduled during this time, you do not need to attend court. Starting Monday, March 30, there will be no public access to the POA Court at 362 Montreal St.  Fines can be paid online or by calling 613-547-8557.

The Provincial Offences Court and administration office are located at 362 Montreal St., and are operated by the City on behalf of the City of Kingston and Frontenac County.

The Provincial Offences Court's responsibilities include:

  • Processing Provincial Offence charges– non-criminal offences including: speeding, careless driving, failing to surrender your insurance card, liquor offences; and trespassing. .
  • Accepting fine payments for Provincial Offence charges.
  • Scheduling trials and management of the courtrooms.
  • Processing walk-in guilty pleas, reopening applications, extensions of time to pay, and appeals.
  • Enforcement and collection of outstanding fines.

What to do if you receive a Provincial Offence Notice

If you receive an Offence Notice you have 15 days from the date you receive the offence notice to pursue one of these options:

Option 1:  Pay the Total Payable (Plea of Guilty)

Payment can be made online, or in person at 362 Montreal St. or by mail (see right for address).  Debit, cash, Visa, Mastercard, cheque or money order are all accepted.

Option 2:  Make a Submission as to Penalty at the Court Office

Submissions as to Penalty (Guilty with an Explanation) – you may attend at the court office at 362 Montreal St. and speak with a Justice of the Peace to request a reduction of your fine amount and/or more time to pay the fine. The Justice of the Peace cannot reduce or remove demerit points associated with the offence. Only Offence Notices with the location code 0960 can be dealt with in this manner at this location. A Justice of the Peace is generally available at 362 Montreal St. on Friday from 9 a.m. to 12 noon. You must attend in person, telephone calls are not accepted.

Option 3:  Request a Trial

If you wish to enter a plea of "not guilty" to the Offence Notice you received, you may request a trial by completing the required information on the back of the Offence Notice and filing that request at 362 Montreal St. by mail, fax or in person. If you mail your request for trial, you assume the consequences if your request is not received within 15 days. Ensure your current mailing address is written on the ticket to receive your Notice of Trial in about two to three weeks. The "Notice of Trial" has the date and time you are to appear in court. Contact us (phone number at right) if you do not receive your "Notice of Trial" within this time frame. If you do not attend court when required, you will be convicted, and fined in your absence. Court costs will apply.

As of June 2016, when you request a trial you will receive an Early Resolution Notice first instead of a Notice of Trial. This notice will list a date and time for you or your representative to meet with the prosecutor to review your fine and discuss a possible resolution to your fine. Attending the Early Resolution is recommended, however, it is not mandatory and you will not be convicted in your absence. A trial date will be booked for you if the Early Resolution is not attended and a Notice of Trial will be sent to you in the mail. If you do not attend on the trial date that is booked for you, you may be convicted in your absence and court costs could be added.

What to do if you receive a Summons to Appear

If you receive a summons to appear, you, or someone representing you (an agent or counsel), must attend court on the date at the location listed on the summons. If you do not appear, the court may issue a warrant for your arrest, or a trial may proceed and you could be convicted in your absence.

What to do if your licence is suspended

In some cases, you can pay your defaulted fines and reinstatement fee at Service Ontario.  If you have no other outstanding licensing requirements, your driver record will be immediately updated. If you cannot afford to pay the total amount outstanding you must attend at a court office and request to enter into a payment plan for the outstanding amount.  In these cases there will be a wait period before Service Ontario can reinstate your licence.

  • 1201 Division St., Kingston, Ontario K7K 6X4; and
  • 1650 Bath Rd., Kingston, Ontario K7M 4X6
  • General Inquiry:  1-800-267-8097

Links - Provincial Offences Court

Docs - City Hall - Provincial Offences Court

Alert - POA Accessibility

If you require information in another format or have questions about accessibility at the Provincial Offences Court, please contact us at 613-547-8557.



Contact - Provincial Offences Court

View Larger Map